When we decided that we wanted to invest in a Yeti Tundra Cooler, we had a hard time selecting which one we thought would suit our needs. Yeti has n extensive collection of Tundra Coolers, so the decision was not as simple as you would think!
We ended up buying the Yeti Tundra 65. And in this post, we’re going over why we selected the Yeti Tundra 65 and everything you need to know about this cooler!
Yeti Tundra 65 Full Review
Why We Picked the Yeti Tundra 65
There are a number of reasons why we picked the Yeti Tundra 65 over Yeti’s other coolers. The main reason was because of the size. So why exactly did we pick the Tundra 65 over other coolers? Let’s talk about it.
- Transportation of cold items over long distances. When we go camping, we often drive up to 5 hours to a campground. This means when we’re transporting our cold items, we need them to stay cold for that amount of time or longer.
- Camping for days at a time with no refrigerator or a small refrigerator. When we go camping, we’re camping for a few days either with a tent or a camper. We don’t have a refrigerator tent camping, and when in a camper the refrigerator is often very small and can’t hold everything. The Yeti Tundra overcomes this by serving as a refrigerator for entire camping trips.
- Amount of cold times we take when camping. When we go camping, we’re taking days’ worth of food and drinks. This is usually because where we camp doesn’t have major grocery stores. And running to the grocery store during a camping trip takes away time from enjoying the outdoors! So we prefer to have everything we need as soon as we show up at the campground. Because of this, we needed a cooler that could hold 2-4 days’ worth of food and drinks.
- Convenience. We also wanted to invest in a cooler that had enough space that we didn’t have to bring along second or third coolers when camping. Prior to buying the Tundra 65, we would take 2-4 smaller coolers to transport all of our cold products. This made packing frustrating. With the Tundra 65, food and drinks for 2-4 days easily fit inside with plenty of ice. And the items stay cold for days!
Why We Picked Yeti Over Other Brands
Prior to buying a Yeti Cooler, we both had Yeti Ramblers. Honestly, once you have one Yeti product, it’s hard to go back to anything else. They truly are one of the best on the market for keeping your stuff cold or hot for a long time. And they’re durable. So for us, it was a no-brainer to invest in one of their coolers.
Yeti Tundra 65 Dimensions and Specifications
Don’t let the sheer size of the cooler scare you off from purchasing it. The Yeti Tundra 65 fits inside the trunk, or backseat, of our Volkswagen Jetta. We ended up not going with a larger cooler because we knew it would be harder to fit into our vehicle. So consider your vehicle dimensions when selecting a size! As long as you have a closet or garage to store the cooler when you’re not using it, the size should not be an issue for most people.
EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS: 17.3″ X 16″ X 30.6″
The Yeti Tundra 65 is made for durability because it’s a rotomolded cooler. It’s extremely durable so it can handle wear and tear. We got the cooler in Navy Blue, so it doesn’t get dirty easily.
The permafrost insulation in the Yeti Tundra is one of the best on the market. It can keep food at a safe temperature for days.
Both sides of the cooler have easy-grip rope handles for carrying and slip-resistant feet on the bottom to prevent it from moving around in your car.
The inside of the cooler lid has gripping to create a tight seal when closed with the latches. The bottom of the cooler features a small drain plug so you can easily drain the ice after use. The cooler comes with a removable basket to store smaller items.
How Much Does the Yeti Tundra 65 Weigh?
EMPTY WEIGHT: 29.0 LBS
One thing to consider with the Tundra 65, even when empty, it is heavy. So this isn’t a cooler you’re going to want to hike a half-mile into the woods with. When the Tundra 65 is full, it’s very heavy. So keep this in mind when considering transportation.
Is the Yeti Tundra Bearproof?
With locks, the Yeti Tundra is Bearproof.
What Can Fit into a Yeti Tundra 65 Cooler?
For example, in our Yeti Tundra 65, we can easily fit
- 24, 12oz cans
- Full-sized condiments including ketchup, mustard, relish, and more
- Multiple packs of meat products
- Large-sized Tupperware containers holding food
- 10 lbs of ice
Yeti Tundra 65 Cost
So you are paying a premium for the Yeti Tundra 65. It’s not a “value” cooler by any means; however, compared to Yeti’s other specialty coolers like the Yeti Haul or the Tundra 45, you’re paying about the same price for more space inside. If space is your priority, the Tundra 65 is totally worth it.
Yeti Tundra 65 Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a cooler with enough storage space that you can pack 2-4 days’ worth of food and drinks, get the Yeti Tundra 65. Its ability to keep your food cold for days is extremely impressive. Because it’s so durable, we don’t anticipate having to buy another Yeti Cooler anytime soon.